General

General

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

77 results found

1. Raise the maximum expression limit for firestore rules to make more complex doc schema validation possible.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Firestore  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Transactions allow passing an options object with maxRetries, but all retries are immediate. If there are many other functions writing the same document, transactions will fail after all retries (lock will time out). Maybe a better strategy would be to delay with exponential backoff like pub sub does.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I wanted to create my own GPT using OpenAI's new GPT builder which has "Functions" in it, and I wanted it to be able to use Firestore API to perform CRUD operations, but unfortunately I struggled to find documentation on how to do that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. It'd be really nice if you could allow users to create local drafts, of small documents, for instance, and save them locally for free with Firestore.

This way you wouldn't have to coordinate Firestore and its rules with some other database and client code nor would you have to choose the simpler option of getting charged for writes and reads on remote database documents that really only one user is supposed to write and read.

Please note that while you could use the realtime database to save drafts, 1 it's not always easy to figure out whether that'd actually be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. There should be an easy way to get a specific document by index in a query:

// this query should work as it's read, if i wanted to use gte i'd use a where

query(this.collection, orderBy('anything', 'asc'), startAt(index), limit(1))

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When retrieving documents from Firebase's Firestore on the web, if you attempt to read the value from the cache, it will return an empty result.

This seems to be an issue because Firestore's database does not use offline data when accessed from the web by default.

To make developers aware of this, should throw some error if Firestore's database is set to not use offline data, and attempting to read the cache value.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The UX when reading large objects in the firestore explorer UI requires too much scrolling in small windows to find the information you are after. I'd propose to:

Note: "window" here refers to where the container where the data of a document can be found or alternatively where all the collection can be found. So the firestore explorer contains usually, a collection window, a document window, (a sub collections window, a document window,...).

• collapse maps by default, or collapse maps if the object is larger than the current window. When dealing with large objects it's currently annoying to find the…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Duplicate document in collection in Firestore

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. As we get the whole document when it is created, it would be nice to get it as well when it gets updated.

Example:
    Online game where 4 people join together. In document, we have a list of players with their names. These names should be displayed for all players. Last user joins closing the session. To get the rest of the names after update the document with this last player, I need to do an extra read.

Problem:
    I am making an entra call for every player, affecting my quota limitation.

Solution:
    Return updated document.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Will allow further security validation and early detection of security checks failures.

To give an example of why this is important,
    I use a Firebase Collection as an API alternative, I create a task record that triggers a cloud function, it allows me to manage my resources effectively and provide partial updates, way more flexible than traditional REST, however with API I use bearer tokens to verify that the identity of the person creating the record and deciding if they are allowed or 401, without UID in record metadata I have to send the plain UID as a field in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make Firestore and Firebase hosting available on the new Johannesburg Cloud Region; this will greatly assist developers in launching apps within the continent and also assist with local data protection regulations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. In Firebase's Firestore, a user with write access to a project can simply delete any document and even a whole collection with multiple documents with a single click. This is a major security problem as any of my team member may end up deleting a whole collection with millions of documents in under a minute, through the Firebase console.

I would like to request for a feature to disable this.

To be clear - The possibility to grant write access without delete access. Currently, if I am not mistaken, through the User and Permissions panel it's kind of "all or…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Firestore  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. You cannot delete a Firestore database with the API; you must use the CLI if you want to do this programmatically. This is problematic as it means you essentially need to create a shell in your application, ensure the CLI is available, authenticate, and then make the required CLI call.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Currently you can only delete collections programmatically via the CLI. Otherwise, you have to list and delete every single document in the collection. If those documents have nested collections, you have to (recursively) retrieve and delete every document in the nested collection (As deleting a document does not delete any nested collections the document has). If there are additional levels of nested collections... You get the idea.

I wasn't sure what this other request was referring to so I made this one: https://firebase.uservoice.com/forums/948424-general/suggestions/46562317-api-support-for-deleting-directories

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Currently, subcollections are treated separately from fields in the UI. This seems like an arbitrary distinction - a subcollection is simply a json object under a document. You could do the same thing with a string field.

The API could support retrieving subcollections as string fields in json format for a document. This would prevent the need to iterate over every document in a collection, then get a list of the subcollections, then retrieve the documents from those subcollections, etc. If worried about time required, since Firestore supports 100 nesting levels, perhaps the API call could include the nesting level…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. If Firebase cannot support some kind of changestream implementation, it should include metadata on each document that includes a "last updated" timestamp. Then clients can query against this field to only retrieve "new" changes (Inserts, Updates). It lacks support for delete capture but is the next best thing after a changestream.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Firestore does not support any actual CDC (Change Data Capture). A changestream similar to other NoSQL implementations (Mongo, DocumentDB, Azure Cosmos DB) would make the database a lot more usable and grant feature parity with other popular NoSQL databases. This changestream would expose operations like updates, inserts, and deletes for a client to come and retrieve from either a timestamp or a resume token.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently, Firestore and Cloud Storage security rules req.auth property will only validate and accept Google-signed ID tokens from Firebase Auth/Identity Platform.

This means that "user authentication rules" CANNOT be used if we rely on our own (or 3rd-party) authentication/token server.

Proposal:
    Allow security rules to configure the token verification rules so that they can verify the token claims of a configured token authority. For example, tokens signed by a service account private key, or 3rd party auth server (aside from Firebase Auth/Identity Platform).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. For some reason an 'in' wury with a 2d array also runs with a sort function. which is not provided or supported by other features such as ArrayUnion and ArrayRemove.

the order should be an optional parameter because using a system where we must find all other documents that have the exact same features but maybe in a different order, is not possible. there is no native sort option when using ArrayUnion, and we've been taught through firestore arrays in general, that orders of items fundamentally shouldn't be considered to exist due to idempotency.

TLDR:
    ArrayUnion does not support 'in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. let's say that you have a Kotlin android app, Swift iOS app, a Dart Flutter app and cloud functions written in typescript.
    there should be a way to re-use shared queries across the whole stack.
    having a query language like SQL and pass those redundant queries across all apps that would be really efficient and could save developers a lot of time and it could produce less bugs.

I'm not suggesting SQL, I'm suggesting to have a query language that's all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?